Saturday, October 19, 2013

post-workout pumpkin pie...smoothie!

Hi friends,

Yes, the pumpkin obsession continues...this one's a keeper and fantastic, post-workout.  I devoured mine after a killer TRX workout at my favourite fitness studio, Kondi Fitness, this morning.  This recipe is inspired by Whole Food's Pumpkin Pie smoothie; I've made a few tweaks and added a few personal touches ; )  In usual fashion, I haven't included super specific measurements - what can I say, I like to freestyle!  Here's what you'll need to throw in your blender:

* a banana (frozen, or not)
* almond milk (or any other type of milk: coconut, hemp, your choice!)
* pumpkin puree (a 1/2 of a can)
* a generous spoon of almond butter
* your favourite protein powder (I'm a big fan of Vega products, I use their  'viva vanilla flavoured protein smoothie', hemp protein is also great)
* a generous dash of cinnamon (fantastic anti-oxidant to protect against those free radicals that cardiovascular exercise can produce), a touch of nutmeg, touch of turmeric (great inflammatory properties to help your muscles recover), and a touch of cardamom for some extra depth - I'd suggest to start small with the spices and play around
**If you're taking pro-biotics or any other GI tract supplements in capsule form, feel free to open the capsules and dump the contents in there too.  Our body absorbs supplements faster when it doesn't have to break down the capsules first.

Blend, and savour!  Your body and recovering muscles will thank you for it.

be good to yourself,
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment